You are here

Ben Stokes delight at England recall despite receiving affray charge for Bristol nightclub incident

Ben Stokes says he is “extremely delighted” to be back in the frame for England selection. The England and Wales Cricket Board announced earlier on Wednesday that the all-rounder is due to rejoin the team in February for the T20s in New Zealand. Stokes was charged on Monday by the Crown Prosecution Service over an incident in Bristol in September last year but, having been unavailable since his initial arrest, he can now resume his international career. The 26-year-old wrote on Twitter: “Representing my country is one of the greatest…

Read More

Nottingham Forest 0-1 Aston Villa: Hogan header spoils Karanka's opening game in charge

Aitor Karanka’s Nottingham Forest tenure began in frustrating fashion as Aston Villa claimed a comfortable 1-0 win at the City Ground. Steve Bruce’s side were rarely troubled once Scott Hogan’s 18th-minute header gave them the lead. Kieran Dowell forced a fine save from Sam Johnstone late on, but the Villa keeper was otherwise relatively untroubled as the visitors defended stoutly – and Forest looked short of ideas. It meant a disappointing start for former Middlesbrough boss Karanka, who agreed to become the permanent replacement for Mark Warburton on Monday, while…

Read More

Arsene Wenger to appeal misconduct charge for referee bust-up after West Brom game

Wenger was also infuriated with the awarding of Chelsea’s penalty during the 2-2 draw Wednesday, January 3, 2018 Arsene Wenger intends to contest a charge of misconduct from the Football Association following his conduct in the referee’s changing room after Sunday’s game against West Brom. The Arsenal manager was incensed by Mike Dean’s decision to award West Bromwich Albion a late penalty at The Hawthorns in the 1-1 draw. Wenger was charged on Tuesday and has until 6pm on Friday to officially appeal the charge. Asked if he would contest…

Read More

Manchester United FC news: Ashley Young to serve three match ban after accepting violent conduct charge

Ashley Young accepted a Football Association violent conduct charge Sunday, December 31, 2017 Ashley Young will miss Manchester United’s next three matches after accepting a violent conduct charge. Young was issued with the charge by the Football Association after appearing to elbow Dusan Tadic during the 0-0 draw with Southampton on Saturday. He has decided not to contest it, but did argue a suspension and a Football Association spokesperson said: “Ashley Young will be suspended for Manchester United’s next three matches. “He accepted a violent conduct charge following an off-the-ball…

Read More

Mark Warburton: Nottingham Forest sack manager after nine months in charge

Championship side Nottingham Forest have sacked manager Mark Warburton after nine months at the City Ground. Forest have also sacked assistant David Weir while director of football Frank McParland has left the club. Academy manager Gary Brazil will take over at Forest as their caretaker manager while they find a replacement. Former Rangers boss Warburton, 55, was appointed in March on a two-and-a-half-year deal and helped Forest narrowly avoid relegation last season. Media playback is not supported on this device Warburton, Weir and McParland were all appointed towards the end…

Read More

Austin handed violent conduct charge for challenge on Huddersfield keeper

Southampton striker Charlie Austin has been charged with violent conduct for a challenge on Huddersfield goalkeeper Jonas Lossl in Saturday’s 1-1 draw. The Dane was bleeding and needed treatment after Austin caught him in the face with his right boot. Austin, 28, has until 17:00 GMT on 24 December to respond to the Football Association charge. He could serve a three-match ban if found guilty, but could face a spell on the sidelines anyway through injury. The former QPR and Burnley forward, who is Southampton’s top scorer with six this…

Read More

James Tarkowski: Burnley defender accepts violent conduct charge

Burnley defender James Tarkowski has accepted a charge of violent conduct and will serve a three-match ban with immediate effect. The 25-year-old was charged after swinging his arm into Brighton striker Glenn Murray’s chest during Saturday’s 0-0 draw in the Premier League. Tarkowski will miss games against Tottenham, Manchester United and Huddersfield this month. He will be available for Liverpool’s visit to Turf Moor on 1 January. Although Tarkowski accepted the charge, he argued the three-game ban was excessive – a claim rejected by a Football Association panel. The centre-back…

Read More
Scroll Up